This post contains affiliate links, if you choose to utilize them we will be compensated. Read our full Disclosure Policy Here.
So earlier we told you that because of the funeral we needed to prepare dinner ahead, and that’s just what we did. We didn’t know the actual recipe for Minestrone so we just did our best and winged it! Here is our recipe!
2 Navy Beans- canned, rinsed well
1 Kidney Beans- canned, rinsed well
1 Garbanzo Beans- canned, rinsed well
3 Veg-All – canned, rinsed well
1 Peas- pea only, no shell, rinsed well
1/2 gallon Home Canned Tomatoes, juice and all. If you must buy store canned tomato that is fine, DO NOT RINSE them just dump them in when it’s time. It will take 4 LARGE cans from the store.
3 boxes Vegetable Broth
1 Vegetable Broth Box filled with water (saves dishes, and it’s how we measured the amount of water.)
4 large cloves of garlic
1 package of celery, leaves and all sliced thinly
6 carrots peeled and sliced thinly
1 8 oz package Dry Farro
2 cups Elbow Macaroni Whole Wheat
Dry Italian Seasoning Blend (we use store brand) 2 tbsp
Red Pepper Flakes 1.5 tsp
Freshly ground black pepper 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Peel and dice all raw vegetables
In a large soup kettle (ours is very large, we use this one by Biltmore)
- Cover the bottom of the stockpot with vegetable broth and then add diced onion, diced garlic, diced carrot, and diced celery.
- Add all dry seasonings. Sautee this gently, being certain not to brown the onion or garlic. Bring the onion and garlic just to translucency.
- Add all of the drained veggies and beans.
- Add Tomatoes with juices from their cans.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth.
- Add the farro and macaroni noodles. .
- Bring to a boil for 10 minutes stirring to prevent any sticking and then simmer for 1-2 hours gently stirring occasionally.