We totally hit it out of the ball park with the Vegan Potato Taco/Burritos yesterday so we thought we would continue with that in mind today as I sought to duplicate one of my most famous (before going vegan) recipes. Today, I tricked out my Greek Pitas (formerly known as Grilled Chicken Greek Pitas) with Greek style potatoes! That’s right…I replaced the meat with a veggie and the oil with veggie broth to make a dressing! This is one recipe you don’t want to miss if you love Greek food as much as we do!
On the weightloss plateau, I didn’t even step on the scale today and Homme said he is still at plateau. It’s no fun to be stuck at the same ol weight for days on end, but we trust the process. We took time together as a family to watch the documentary “What the Health” today, if you haven’t watched it you should. After seeing that, I know (we all know) that we made the right decision dumping meat in favor of a whole foods, plant based diet.
But what about protein?
We aren’t worried about protein because protein actually comes from plants, did you know that? “Only plants have the ability to actually take the nitrogen from the air, break those molecules apart, and incorporate that nitrogen into amino acids and then make protein. Any protein you get from an animal is simply recycled protein.”, Milton Mills, M.D. That’s right, the protein you get from that steak is really just protein the beef processed from the plants it ate. So we’re confident, with all the beans, legumes, and other protein rich plants we are eating, that we are in no danger of protein deficiency.
Now onto the “good” part! Ya’ll have to try out these AMAZING Greek Potato Pitas!
Greek (you won’t believe it’s not chicken) Pitas
- 10-15 Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes
- 2 cups Spring Mix Leaf Lettuce
- 1/2 c sliced Heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 c diced English Cucumber
- 1/4 c Kalamata Olives
- 1/4 c Veggie Stock
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Avocado
- 3 tbsp Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
- 1 c Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs
- Greek Style Pita Bread
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425 f.
- Line a large cast iron pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor blitz the Panko Breadcrumbs and 3 tablespoons Cavender’s Greek Seasoning and set aside in a rectangular dish large enough to use for dredging.
- Wash and cube the Baby Dutch Potatoes, place in a bowl with water covering
- In a separate bowl add the Veggie Stock, Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
- Drain the water from the potatoes and dredge them through the Panko mixture and place them onto the parchment paper. Pop them into the oven for 30-35 mins (I check on mine every 15 to test for doneness, cooking time will vary by cube size.)
- Once potatoes are done, dice the cucumber, slice the tomatoes, and place in a large bowl with the Spring Mix Lettuce. (Save slicing the avocado for last, it will discolor if not). Spoon the Veggie stock dressing onto the “salad” and toss to coat well (you may not need all of it….apply to your own taste)
- Warm the pita bread slightly and add the salad mixture then top with the crisp potatoes and our favorite Mezzetta Sliced Kalamata Olives in Brine.
- Fold and devour